Crazy Rich Walnut Shrimp
In celebration of Crazy Rich Asians, I’m doing a CRAZY RICH ASIAN FOOD themed Facebook Livestream with Laura Nix Gerson of Momangeles and other friends on my fan page today at 1:15pm PST and making the Cantonese Favorite Crazy Rich Walnut Shrimp!! We’ll be dressed as our favorite characters from the film and DJ Cahty Michele will be providing Crazy Rich beasts so don’t miss out! Click here to tune in!
Creamy, rich and indulgent, this Crazy Rich Wallnut Shrimp is often served at banquets and will make your family feel Crazy Rich when you prepare it at home!
- 1 egg white
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 cups + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ cup store-bought candied walnuts
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg white, cornstarch, baking soda, garlic salt and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil to a smooth paste. Add the shrimp and blend to coat very well.
- In another small bowl, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, mayonnaise , and lemon and lime juices until smooth. Set aside.
- In a wok or large deep skillet, heat the remaining 4 cups vegetable oil to 350°F. Deep fry the shrimp until light brown, 3 to 4 minutes, turning as necessary. Remove from the oil. Increase the oil temperature to 375° F. Cook the shrimp for 1 more minute and remove; drain well on paper towels.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the shrimp and stir until well covered. Place onto a platter, sprinkle the candied walnuts on top and serve immediately.